The Ashokan pillar was errected around 249 BC when the Indian Emporor Ashoka visited. The pillar was lost over the centuries only to be rediscovered in the governor of Palpa, Khadga Shumsher Rana, in 1896.
The pink sandstone pillar stands at 6m and has an inscription stating that Ashoka grants a tax-free status to Lumbini. There are many other Ashokan pillars throughout India however this one is linked to facinating history of Ashoka becoming a Buddhist after being involved with many wars.
Read more in this free Lumbini travel guide ...